Jun 04, 2014
from 10:00 AM to 09:30 PM
|Where||The Moller Centre, Storey's Way, Cambridge, CB3 0DE|
|Contact Name||Yaron Peleg|
|Add event to calendar||
Secularity and its Discontents: Religion and Cinema in Israel
10:00 - 12:00
1. Yaron Peleg (Cambridge University), Secularity and Its Discontent: Religiosity in Israeli Cinema.
2. Galit Dardashti (New York University), Money and Cultural Production: the Case of the Avi Chai Foundation in Israel.
3. Pablo Utin (Tel-Aviv University), Political Problems - Religious Solutions: The Search for Religious Meaning in Israeli Culture.
4. Avner Shavit (Universite Sorbonne Nouvelle), How and why did Secular Tel Aviv Disappear from Israeli cinema?
5. Eric Zakim (University of Maryland), The New Normal: Religion and Citizenship in the Israeli TV Series Srugim.
1.Rachel Harris (University of Illinois, Urbana), Silencing the Jewish Woman: Feature Films and the Religious Community in Israel.
2. Nir Cohen (Penn State University), Gay Love and Love for God: Homosexuality and Religion in Recent Israeli Films.
3. Marlyn Vinig (Bar Ilan University), Haredi Cinema in Israel.
4. Dan Chyutin (University of Pittsburgh), 'Portals of Holiness': Confronting Spiritual Film Aesthetics and Ontology in Avishai Sivan's The Wanderer.
5. Yael Friedman, (University of Portsmouth) Fantasies of Transgression: Haredi masculinities and the Zionist narrative in Yehuda Grovais's Jewish Revenge (2003-2010).
Film Screening: The Dreamers (החולמות): Award winning documentary film on the ultra-orthodox film industry in Israel, all run by and for women (2011. Dir. Eftra Shalom-Danon. 57 min.)
Free and Open to the Public